Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Day(s) at the Capitol

The past several weeks, the boys and I have made several trips down to our State Capitol in an effort to get our Midwifery Safety Bill passed. 
The update is coming, but long-story short, the bill is dead for this session, but we'll return next year with a new bill.

Anyways, if you've never been to the Capitol or have never been a part of the Legislative Process, I urge you to just go. 
Go and watch what takes place in our government. 
It's really quite fascinating and I dare say, I was addicted to the environment.
It was invigorating.
No one was there other than paid lobbyists and to be the only ones actively involved in OUR democratic process was quite rewarding despite the outcome.

I had quite the "zen" moment one day. 

I was on the 3rd floor and it was lunch time. 
During lunch, you can hear crickets in the Capitol. 
It's very quiet for the most part.
Charlie wanted to nurse, so he and I sat down on a bench in the center of this beautiful building.

So, I'm looking around at this intricately carved marble and all these beautiful details surrounded by walls that have housed our state government for over 100 years. 
Think of what has gone on here in this past century?!
And here I am, nursing my baby, working with other women to make a mostly male legislative body listen to us (instead of the medical lobbyists) and do the right thing.

I had an overwhelming sense of power.
Kind of that sense of femininity that overtook me after giving birth to my children,naturally,  in my home
And the same one as I breastfed them and watched them grow and thrive on my milk.

 I knew my outlook on things would be forever changed by this experience.
Now, I had been involved in the process. 
I can't go back to the way it was before...that's not the way our country was meant to be run.
 We shouldn't sit idly by while others decide our fate.
Remember that we have a government of the people, by the people, for the people.
 If we don't participate in our government, then we have NO say!
We will slowly give up on right after another and sadly, we already have let this happen.

So, get out there!

Pay attention!
If you can't go, then spend some time watching the live webcast.

Just be informed.
Be involved.
Otherwise, I don't want to hear you whining and complaining about what is going on in our state or in our country!

Oh, wait! I know you wanted to see cute pics of my kiddos at the Capitol...
Don't worry.
I won't disappoint!
 Tripp was evidently worn out from all his advocacy work and decided to rest with another one of our supporter's kiddos on the lawn in front of the Capitol.
 My cutie patootie
 Mississippi Friends of Midwives representing
Tripp and Henry enjoyed feeding each other pretzel chips during the entire press conference.
 Good looking bunch :)
We hit up LeFleur's Bluff State Park for a lunch break.
Charlie didn't hesitate to climb up a new set of slides.
 I wonder what Hen is telling him?

Stinker.
Flat out, Stinker!

“Leave no authority existing not responsible to the people."- Thomas Jefferson

4 comments:

  1. I have been feeling the same way and I thought perhaps a blog post might just make it's way out of my head and onto the computer. Obviously, it hasn't and now, I don't think it needs to, because: I couldn't have said it better myself. Mandi, you and I are in the same place on this. My new involvement in state politics is invigorating and life-changing. I am a better person because of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. me, too, Bianca!

    I am sad that I don't have a picture of us together. We need to remedy that at our hearing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Mandi. My 2 visits to the capitol certainly did change the way I see how 'the people' play it's role in everyday politics.

    And, it seems that Charlie must have been doing something Henry didn't approve of the way he is wagging that finger at him....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work, Mandi. Sounds like you've got a calling!

    ReplyDelete