Monday, March 28, 2011

Our Favorite Sandwich Bread

I've baked LOTS of bread over the past 4 years and tried multiple recipes.
There are so many different breads for different occasions and when deciding to replace store bought breads with homemade, the biggest challenge was sandwich bread.

I was pleasantly surprised when I tried this Soft Sandwich Oatmeal Bread for bread machines by Melanie Cooks. SO, So good! I've adapted the recipe for us and bake it in the oven after letting my bread machine do all the dough work because I don't like the thick crust on my bread baked in the machine.



Here's my adapted version of Soft Sandwich Oatmeal Bread:

1 1/4 cups plain almond milk (warmed to body temp)
2 tbsp olive oil, melted butter or coconut oil
1/2 cup rolled oats
3 cups flour (1 1/2 cups of King Arthur bread flour and 1 1/2 cups of stone ground whole wheat)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

Place ingredients in bread machine in order of manufacturer's directions and set to 1.5lb dough cycle. If you are doing it by hand, knead until you have a smooth dough and let rise until doubled in size. Shape into a loaf and let rise for 30 minutes more. I take the dough out of the bread machine, shape into a loaf and place in my loaf pan and cover w/ lightly greased plastic wrap for 30 minutes. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes, maybe longer if you have a slow oven. Or maybe mine is fast? I start checking at 20 minutes. I think this loaf took 22.

Straight out of the oven, I brush the top with melted butter or olive oil and top with more oatmeal for the rustic look and because Tripp will magically eat bread crusts with oats on it.

 Cool on a wire rack, et Voila!
The best homemade sandwich bread!

10 comments:

  1. Good timing, Mandi! My favorite bread recipe calls for honey and we are out and I wanted to bake bread tomorrow.

    Have you ever doubled or tripled the recipe?

    I might have to borrow your bread machine.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have doubled the recipe and it works just fine. I have also subbed the sugar in this for equal parts honey, SO if you like it but want sugar free, the honey works too (though, I like it better with the sugar. Shh! dont tell)

    You can borrow my bread machine anytime...or we could have a dough making party each week ;). I have done it by hand and it is no biggie though I love the bread machine dough cycle and NOT having to think about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can we really do a doug making party? I want to be a part of that! I say sometime this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah-yuh!!! Wednesday? Thursday? whichever is best for yall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am embarrassed to say it, I have never made bread. Vanessa lent me her bread machine because she wasn't using it and it is sitting in the corner. "Place ingredients in bread machine in order of manufacturer's directions" - what if I don't have instructions? And, what is KA bread flour?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Most bread machines require putting the liquid ingredients in first, then the dry and then, if the recipe requires yeast, putting in in last on top.

    I should have edited the bread flour, but it's King Arthur brand. You can use all purpose, but the bread flour makes it extra soft and has a nice texture especially in a sandwich bread.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been trying a bunch of different bread recipes lately trying to find a good one. I will definetly be trying this one now. I love my bread machine!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How would you make it with your kitchen aid? Mix Yeast, milk and sugar let it bubble. Add salt, oil, flour, and oats. Then follow the rest of your directions? Cow's milk would work still, right?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep cows milk or any milk substitute works (as would water in a pinch). And that's how I'd do it in my kitchenaid :)

    Let me know how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. replica bags ebay click here for info q0x26z5g28 replica goyard bags try this site y0f59c8u09 replica gucci bags 7a replica bags meaning replica bags in uk hermes replica handbags l8u20h2j43 replica bags paypal accepted

    ReplyDelete